Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer Camp ... at Indiana Women's Prison

How many of you think back to childhood and remember the joy of summer camp? I remember it seemed to take forever for the school year to end and the hot, sticky summer to begin. While the days flew by too fast, I had magnificent weeks of summer camp wedged in between the school years. Day camp or sleep-away camp, it didn't matter, it was a great way to do something fun and to be independent of teachers, parents and all the other structures of my childhood. I see the same joy through my daughter's eyes this summer; she has been totally and completely wrapped in the sweet dirt, sun, and water that I remember as a child.

So, as much as I LOVE summer camp, I have to say I was astounded to learn about summer day camp at the Indiana Women's Prison (IWP). I first learned about the summer camp ten years ago through a partnership with the former YWCA and I had to see it to believe it. I couldn't imagine how and why. Once I spent a day there, I was an immediate convert and an ardent supporter.

The summer camp at IWP was started as a week-long day camp for children whose mothers participated in the Family Preservation Program (see earlier posts). Each day the children would come to IWP and participate in the kind of day camp activities they might do anywhere else, except at this day camp the kids do everything with their mothers. Crafts, games, songs, skits, snacks, camp lunch ... you name it; they did it. The grounds of IWP remind me of a small college; old brick buildings, a pretty green lawn, simple but nice landscaping. So summer camp there seemed summery, not scary behind big bars.

The children had a unique opportunity to bond with their mothers and to also connect with other children who understand completely the feeling of having a mother who is incarcerated. No one had to explain themselves or feel ashamed, they just knew and it was okay. For the children who didn't live close-by, in the evenings they were able to spend the night at the facility of another child-serving organization and have the opportunity to debrief about the days activities. For the mothers, this opportunity was unlike anything else they experienced throughout the year. A taste of home, love, and the opportunity to really connect with their children ... a hope for what the future might be like when they leave prison.

The economy has taken a toll on summer camp. Today the experience is just one day on the weekend; a far cry from the week with mom several years ago. It's unfortunate but the DOC doesn't have the extra money or the extra staff to support the huge endeavor of a week long camp. So while I am sad about this change and think of the missed opportunities for children and mothers, I do understand. I would much rather have critical programming such as education and job training stay in place. I would much rather see the Family Preservation Program with it's extended visitation throughout the year stay in place.

For those of us who can hug our children every day and tell them how much we love them ... don't forget to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment