Thursday, September 3, 2009

Go Girl!

Driving home from a meeting with Women’s Fund, I found myself comparing them to an event I participated in over the weekend. On Saturday, I was one of 500 women who participated in the Go Girl Triathlon, an event benefiting the Julian Center (I can't believe I'm actually posting a picture from the race, but there I am).

At the triathlon, women and girls cheered each other on. “Go Girl, Go” was a common chant throughout the race. Women of all ages enthusiastically supported and encouraged each other along the course. Women empowered one another and lifted each other up. The energy and excitement was an incredible experience.

So, how does that compare to Women’s Fund? Simple. Women’s Fund awards grants that encourage and inspire hope to women and girls in central Indiana. They are the support and encouragement that organizations need to ‘keep going’ and to ‘finish the race’.

As I sat in traffic, my mind wandered and I thought about some of the women in our community who inspire and empower women and girls with grants from Women’s Fund. I smiled as I thought about how they cheer for the women and girls in our community.

I can see:
  • Sharon Pierce, president & CEO, The Villages, saying “Go Girl” to a teen who suffered abuse, yet overcame tragedy and graduated from high school.

  • Pat Wachtel, executive director, Girls, Inc., high-fiving a young girl as she crossed the finish line driving the soap box derby car she made at camp.

  • Niki Girls, executive director, Concord Neighborhood Center, cheering on a team of girls playing basketball, soccer or softball.

And the list goes on.

What women do you know who empower women and girls? I’d like to know so I can say “Go Girl” and Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment