Thursday, November 19, 2009

Volunteering as a Family

Teaching my children the importance of volunteering is something that’s extremely important to me. It’s something my parents me taught me growing up and something I hope to pass along to my children. They’re young now (and would probably hate this picutre being posted), but some small things we do make a big difference. Each birthday, they go through their toys and find some to donate to children who are less fortunate. We drop them off together at places such as Coburn Place, The Villages and The Julian Center. Each Thanksgiving, my family volunteers at a homeless shelter serving meals. While my kids aren’t old enough to go with us, they know and understand what we’re doing. These are just two things we’re doing to help them understand the importance of volunteering. I want volunteering to become a part of their life, no matter their age.

National Family Volunteer Day is Saturday, Nov. 21, which kicks off National Family Week. I had no idea. But I like it. I like the idea that families are encouraged to volunteer together. There are studies that show volunteering starts at an early age, so if kids see mom or dad doing it, chances are they'll do the same as adults.

Women’s Fund may not be the first organization that comes to mind when thinking about family volunteering, but in fact, they offer two philanthropy education programs that instill that same belief of giving back. The cool thing is their philanthropy education programs extend beyond a day or week of volunteering together, but focus on lifelong giving.

  • GO: Give Back is a program that combines philanthropic education with charitable giving – teaching young people to make meaningful financial contributions to their community.

  • Power of Girls is a one day mother-daughter event that teaches philanthropy, the challenges facing women and girls in our community and the value of granting dollars to an organization.

I appreciate Women’s Fund for the work they are doing to improve the lives of women and girls in central Indiana. I appreciate that they focus on lifelong impact through its permanent endowment. I appreciate that they provide opportunities for family volunteering.

I heard someone with Women’s Fund once say: When you help a woman, you help the entire family. When you help a family, you help the community. That’s something I will keep in mind as I find ways to volunteer as a family – and as I continue to think of ways to encourage my children to give back.

I truly believe that volunteering as a family is a great way to spend quality time together while doing meaningful work in the community. Does your family volunteer together?

No comments:

Post a Comment