Thursday, February 4, 2010

Reporting on Girls Inc. from the Streets of Franklin

I participated in a video project for Women’s Fund this week and although I was skeptical about my ability to be a “woman on the street reporter”, I had fun and learned a lot about the organization I was assigned.

The project: Women’s Fund, with the help of Smallbox, is creating a video (done by volunteers), that will highlight how donor dollars are making a difference for women and girls in our community. The video will highlight their three focus areas (caregiving, domestic violence, and insufficient income) through interviews with executive directors and clients. I was chosen to interview Girls Inc. of Franklin/Johnson Co. So with our Flip video camera, Abigail Coleman and I headed south.

The organization: Girls Inc. of Franklin/Johnson Co. serves over a 1,000 girls annually through really cool programs. I interviewed Sonya Ware-Meguiar, CEO and Tara Mirchandani, a Girls Inc. mom. Each had a personal story about the difference Girls Inc. makes in the lives of young girls. They talked proudly about their programs, services, community partnerships and outreach. They both agreed Girls Inc. is vital to their community. I enjoyed hearing about Operation Smart, Sisterhood and other programs. I also thought it was cool to know a former Mayor of Franklin was a Girls Inc. girl.

The impact: I’ve always been a fan of Girls Inc., but at some point during the interview I had an “aha moment”. As I heard about their programs and events, and I saw Tara’s face light up when she talked about what Girls, Inc. has done for her daughters, I realized I want that same thing for my daughter. At seven, Bailey still seems so young to me, but she’s growing up fast – and I want her to grow up strong, smart and bold. I was so touched and inspired by what I learned that when I got home I e-mailed Girls Inc. of Indianapolis (which serves my area). Thanks to their quick response, I now have Girls' Bill of Rights Day on my calendar (May 1); and will be exploring their summer camp for Bailey.

I can’t wait to see the final video. I’m not expecting an Oscar for my small part in the video, but I do hope the organizations featured will receive great applause and recognition for the award-winning work they do in our communities every day for women and girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment