Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Camp Participants Empowered through Leadership and Learning


By Quiana Graham
Director, Youth & Family Programs
Indiana Black Expo, Inc.
OPTIONS Class 10 member

Every year March is designated as Women's Empowerment Month. During that month, we see public service announcements honoring great women such as Amelia Earhart, Madame C J Walker, Betsy Ross and other women who have helped to make this country great!

As a person active in the non-profit community, I work first hand with the National Girls Inc. office, which is located in downtown Indianapolis. I have read numerous scholarships of Girls Inc. graduates from throughout the country who seek financial assistance from the organization to continue their educational endeavors. Their essays recount how the organization has helped them to form personal value statements, increased their self-worth and overcome challenges that they have face in life. Each year I am amazed at the courage and strength that these young ladies demonstrate in the face of adversity!

At the OPTIONS Class 10 site visit this week, it was truly my pleasure to spend time with young ladies participating in Girls Inc. of Greater Indianapolis' summer camp. Having the opportunity to see the young ladies use deductive and problem solving skills, was refreshing. (Most youth I see remind me that common sense is not so common!) I think I learned more about pollution yesterday (point and non-point) than I remember from high school. (And that’s not just because I graduated 14 years ago!)

Through well-conceived curriculum, I think that Pat Wachtel, executive director, and her staff are doing an excellent job of empowering girls to become successful women. Because of my work with National Office, I can attest to the awesome work Girls Inc. does in young women’s lives worldwide. After my visit to the local Girls Inc. camp, I realize that everyday they are teaching young ladies to become the BOLD, SMART, and STRONG women that will be one day be recognized during March.

If you have not visited with the ladies of Girls Inc., please plan to go and be impressed!

3 comments:

  1. Quiana,we were so pleased to have the OPTIONS Class 10 visit us at summer camp. We love to introduce our girls to Strong, Smart, and Bold women in our community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Quiana for your blog! Glad you enjoyed your visit and I too learned a lot about the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this... acquisto camper all asta

    ReplyDelete