Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Inspired (and Intrigued) by a Great Philanthropist

I have read with great interest the many stories about Ruth Lilly following her death at the age of 94. What an amazing woman who gave so much to so many. She had an incredible charitable spirit that she shared with numerous organizations nationally and locally, including Women’s Fund of Central Indiana.

Over the course of her life, she gave away an estimated $800 million. Women’s Fund received a generous donation of $300,000 from her in 2007 to support their campaign. Ruth Lilly was credited for changing a city through her philanthropy. Talk about girl power!

As I’m writing this blog I can’t help but think about the incredible impact this one woman had through her generosity. Granted, I will never have the fortunes that she had; nor will I have the ability to contribute to the community in the way that she did. Or can I? Can I work toward making a greater impact through my own philanthropic giving plan? Sure, I don’t have millions (not even close), but I do want to make a difference with what I have. So, how can I be more strategic? How can my gifts be more meaningful?

Interestingly enough (and unbeknownst to them), I’m going to ask Women’s Fund this year to help me answer that question. Women’s Fund is known to help people think strategically about their philanthropy. As an OPTIONS alumnae, I contributed to Women’s Fund at the end of last year. I did so because I’m passionate about the work Women’s Fund is doing to increase options and opportunities for women and girls in our community.

So this year, I look forward to being a more active alumnae member and being more aware of how my dollars impact women and girls. Look for future blogs about what I discover and learn about the impact I’m making through Women’s Fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment