Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Q & A with Mary Harden, Advisory Board Member

Q. How long have you been connected with Women’s Fund of Central Indiana and in what roles?
A.
Although I joined the Women’s Fund Advisory Board in January 2008, I have been interested in and participated in Women’s Fund events since its inception. Since joining the board, I've served on the Nominations Committee and this year the Grants Committee.

Q. What first drew you to Women’s Fund?
A.
Several women that I know and respected have been involved in the development - or were strong supporters of Women’s Fund, including Attorney Fay Williams, Paula Parker-Sawyers, Jane Schlegel, the late Diane Brashear, and past chair, Julie Davis. I have always had an interest in the personal and economic growth and empowerment of young girls and women and I knew that Women’s Fund was created to support programs that work to improve the conditions and opportunities for women and girls in our community. I also admired Women’s Fund initiatives such as GO: Give Back, which focuses on starting at an early age to build future philanthropists.

Q. Who are/were your role models for "giving back" to your community and how did they influence you?
A. First, my mother, who is one of the most caring and giving people I know. We were not well off, but she was well known in the neighborhood and church because she always found something to do to help those who had less than we did. I remember as a child, wondering why she did these things. Now, I look back with a smile and realize that I have become my mother.

There are many women who have been a positive influence in my life, but there were two special women whose generosity and commitment made a lasting impression: The late Dr. Frances Dodson Rhome, who strongly encouraged my personal growth and inspired my interest in leadership development and gender equity for women; and Attorney Fay Williams, who propelled me into the world of community service, volunteerism and advocacy for the empowerment of women and girls. These two women were tireless in reaching out, pulling up and giving back with their time and resources.

Q. What issues impacting women & girls are you most passionate about? Do you have any personal connection to any of these issues?
A.
I am passionate about so many issues that impact women and girls in our community – poor economic conditions, teenage pregnancy, drugs, HIV/AIDS, domestic abuse, inadequate education, poor self esteem. I am particularly concerned about the cycle of poverty and the increasing number of women who for various reasons are not equipped to support themselves. I am equally concerned about the young girls who have so much potential, so little encouragement, and so few positive role models in their lives; who have not had the training and counseling that will lead them to career preparation and self sufficiency. As a working mom, I had to deal with many of the challenges that working moms face today. For this reason, I became an early advocate with government and community organizations to help solve some of these issues.

Q. What would you tell other women and girls about Women's Fund to encourage them to get involved?
A.
Women’s Fund is about making a difference, not just in the sense of giving, but also in teaching and building future leaders. I especially admire Women’s Fund willingness to shore up struggling organizations to help them achieve stability and long-term sustainability. It is one of the most well-managed and focused organizations I’ve had the pleasure of serving. You can be assured that the dollars you donate will be managed and expended with the greatest of care in the areas that will have the most impact and fulfill the greatest need in our community.

Q. What aspirations and hopes do you have for women and girls in Central Indiana?
A.
My hope is that women and girls (and all members of our community) will have the opportunity to grow and prosper in spirit, mind and body.

Q. Tell us a little more about yourself.
A.
I am an independent appraiser and consultant with OAS Land Acquisition Group, specializing in valuations for right-of-way and eminent domain acquisitions. I am retired from the Department of Defense where I served as program manager and human resources consultant for numerous Army and Defense Department initiatives. My husband, Percy, and I are now empty nesters, with the children of our blended family now living in Indianapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, and Tampa.

No comments:

Post a Comment