Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Inspired by a Victim of Child Abuse

Last week I attended a kick-off event for Child Abuse Prevention Month, hosted in partnership by Prevent Child Abuse America, Prevent Child Abuse Indiana and The Villages. Throughout the event, child advocates spoke about the importance of child abuse prevention and the devastating cycle of domestic violence. Statistics shared were stark. Each year, more than 20,000 Hoosier children are abused and neglected – that equates to 56 children being harmed every day and one child each week losing his or her young life to child abuse.

After hearing from Ebony, a young victim of child abuse and neglect, I realized we are all responsible for keeping Indiana’s children safe and secure. We are all responsible for treasuring, protecting, nurturing and teaching our children.

Walking away from the event I felt empowered to do something – to do something that could positively impact the life of a child. As I drove back to the office I thought about some of the programs Women’s Fund recently shared in a meeting with the Indianapolis Star – programs they fund that significantly impact the success of our city’s children. Programs such as Project Home Indy, which provides shelter for homeless pregnant teens; Juvenile Justice Program through Peace Learning Center, which teaches girls at Indianapolis Juvenile Correctional Facility conflict resolution skills; and a program through Ruth Lilly Health Education Center that teaches all IPS 5th and 7th graders healthy relationships.

Indirectly, as an OPTIONS alumnae and donor to Women’s Fund, I am doing something to make a difference. My contribution is impacting programs that Women’s Fund supports. Their grants focused on insufficient income, inadequate caregiving choices and domestic abuse in the home are truly helping create a better life for women and children in our community. As I look for opportunities to do more, I will look to Women’s Fund to help me make a strategic, smart decision so I can continue to help girls like Ebony succeed. As an expert resource regarding issues impacting women and girls in central Indiana I have no doubt Women’s Fund will steer me in the right direction so I can continue making a difference for young girls in our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment