Thursday, May 6, 2010

Shouldn't girls "just wanna have fun" - not worry about losing weight?

Women’s Fund recently posted on an article on Facebook about elementary school girls trying to lose weight. Although the report was from 2003, the fact that 40% of 1-5th grade girls at the time wanted to lose weight is alarming. What’s more alarming is that my daughter, Bailey, will be heading into the 2nd grade (only 19 days as a 1st grader, as she reminded me this morning) – and I’m already seeing and hearing comments from her friends that make me nervous.
  • “Do you think I look skinnier than when I was in kindergarten?” – one of her friends asked me when I saw her for the first time in first grade.
  • “You really don’t want me to change into shorts because I have big legs.” – one of her friends told me when I took the girls to the gym after school.

The NY Times article was an interesting read. I’ve decided that being aware is better than ignoring the situation. Weight, self-esteem and confidence issues are just a matter of life. All I can do is be a positive, supportive and encouraging role model for my daughter. I want her to have fun – not worry about her weight!

This summer, I signed Bailey up for Girls Inc. 2010 Strong, Smart, Bold, and Inspired Day Camp – an 8-week camp that promises to be “fun and empowering”. Given the information about girls and their weight, I am particularly interested in the how Girls Inc. will help these young girls discover their inner beauty and self-esteem in their Redefining Beauty program. The camp also will focus on sports, arts, culture, science, money management and so much more.

Women’s Fund has long been a supporter of Girls Inc. In fact, in 2009 alone, Women’s Fund granted a total of $15,000 to Girls Inc. of Greater Indianapolis, Girls Inc. of Johnson Co. and Girls Inc. of Shelby Co. to support summer camp scholarships. I look forward to seeing how Women’s Fund dollars will be put toward helping Bailey be a stronger, smarter, bolder girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment