Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Redefining Beauty

I really enjoy helping people through volunteering. When I had the opportunity to lead Girls Inc. of Greater Indianapolis programs through Junior League, I jumped on it. Not only do I enjoy mentoring children - especially girls, but this was a perfect connection to our mission at Women's Fund.

This was my second time facilitating a Girls Inc. program - last fall, I lead a "Work it Out" program with girls age 6 to 8. This week, I finished up another program, "Redefining Beauty." In one-hour sessions over six weeks, I co-facilitated the program to about ten girls age 9 to 11 (3rd and 4th grade). This program covers a number of important topics, including:
  • Defining what is real beauty.
  • Looking who shapes our own concept of beauty, and thinking of positive influences, instead of negative ones.
  • Beauty stereotypes in magazines - what's real, what's not.
  • Creating awareness about eating disorders (the basics).
  • Learning that our body is a resource, not an object.
  • Specifically identifying "what makes me beautiful and unique", and practicing how to tell others about these qualities.
  • Practicing how to recognize and affirm inner beauty in others.

Each session we led discussions and interactive activities with girls around these topics. Girls also had the opportunity to keep a personal journal each time, which they could take home at the end of the program.

Check back on the Women's Fund blog Thursday, when I will share more about my experience, including challenges faced and strides made with the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment