Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"Working it Out" with Girls Inc.

When I had an opportunity to volunteer for Girls Incorporated of Greater Indianapolis, I was immediately interested. At Women's Fund, I had heard and seen many great things about the organization and its efforts to develop girls who are strong, smart, and bold. Through their recent expansion of outreach-based programming, volunteers and staff are reaching more girls through program delivery in community centers and schools.

As a volunteer, my positive perceptions of Girls Inc. have remained true. This fall, I lead a six-week afterschool program in a Pike Township elementary, through a partnership with Junior League of Indianapolis. Prior to facilitating the program, I received comprehensive training, detailed curriculum materials, solid staff support, and was paired with a volunteer co-facilitator. With all of these supports in place for volunteers, it is no wonder Girls Inc. is growing to meet the needs of girls in central Indiana.

The program I co-facilitated, "Work it Out," focused on helping girls, 6-8 years-old, learn to be good friends, work through conflict, and deal with bullies. A program like this is needed for girls of any age, especially with examples of unhealthy relationships so prevalent in the media. In six weeks we covered a lot of ground, with only a few minor hiccups... which you could expect with girls that age! I was impressed at the thoughtful conversations, positive feedback, and progress we seemed to make with many girls. At the end of the program, the girls were eager for it to continue and to share their favorite moments. Many shared one of my favorite lessons, the "Put-up Party," when they wrote and shared positive statements about each girl in the room.

This volunteer experience has helped me develop my facilitation skills and learn more about the current problems and issues faced by girls. It's been validating for me to see first-hand the results of funding Women's Fund has provided to Girls Inc., and I am proud of Women's Fund's support of gender-specific programs for girls in central Indiana.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear you had a great experience! We are only able to reach girls in greater Indianapolis through strong support from several different groups: funders like Women's Fund who provide financial resources to Girls Inc., volunteers like you & your Junior League colleagues who facilitate our programs, and partners who are interested in empowering their girls with programs like Work It Out and agree to provide the space - and the girls! - for the programs. Thanks for all you do to inspire girls in greater Indy to be strong, smart, and bold!

    ReplyDelete