Thursday, December 3, 2009

Food Stamps on the Rise

Women’s Fund recently asked its Facebook Fans what they thought when hearing the words Food Stamps. What images come to mind? Interesting question – and one I wasn’t sure I knew how to answer right away. So I read up on it, did some online research and have a much better answer today than I would have had a few weeks ago.

According to a New York Times article, food stamp use is at an all-time high and increasing each month. The program helps feed one in eight Americans and one in four children. More than 36 million people are using food stamps (now as simple as using an ordinary – and unnoticeable plastic card) for staples like milk, bread, cheese and other necessities. Nearly 12 percent of Americans receive aid — 28 percent African-Americans, 15 percent Latinos and 8 percent Caucasians. Those numbers alone make me realize that any one of my fellow shoppers could be using food stamps.

In fact, the more I think about it, my friends who have recently lost their jobs due to downsizing could be using – or could benefit from food stamps; my divorced friends who may be struggling financially could benefit from food stamps; my friends who are single mothers could benefit from food stamps. Maybe they’re already using them.

I’ve never been judgmental, but the first images that came to mind (until now) about food stamps were of people who were poor and/or homeless. Truth is, we don’t know the stories behind the recipients – nor do we need to know. What we need to know is the program is a much needed one.

I really knew little to nothing about the program until Women’s Fund asked that simple question. Now I want to learn more.

If you, or someone you know could benefit from food stamps (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), there are great local resources to get help. Click here to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment