Thursday, December 10, 2009

‘Tis the Season for Joy; Not Pain

I recently read an article about the increased rate of domestic violence during the holidays, which really breaks my heart. The holidays are supposed to be filled with fun with family and friends, not a time for living in fear of violence. I can’t help wonder if holiday stress, stretched finances and increased alcohol consumption at holiday parties affect relationships and individual attitudes. I must confess I have found myself fighting back my own road rage recently – only to remind myself that the holidays are a time for cheer and joy, not frustration.

“Holiday stress” is no excuse for abuse (nothing is). If you – or someone you know, are in an abusive situation, it’s important to get help. Talk to a friend, stay at a relative’s house or take advantage of the many local resources we have available. Below are three places I’ve become more familiar with through working with Women’s Fund.

  • The Julian Center – provides shelter, counseling and education for survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault and other life crisis.
  • Prevail, Inc. – provides support and programs to victims of domestic violence in Hamilton and surrounding counties. They also staff a 24-hour crisis line: 317.776.3472. Their mission is to provide advocacy, awareness, support services and education to victims of crime and individuals and families in crisis.
  • Turning Point Domestic Violence Services – provides support to women, men and children who are victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. They have a 22-bed emergency shelter, the provide education, prevention and training programs; and they have a 24-help line: 1.800.221.6311.
No matter the reason; no matter the season; I truly believe there is no excuse for abuse! I’m glad to know Women’s Fund is supporting these organizations so victims of abuse can find help – and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment