Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sniffles and summer vacation mean extra planning for moms

Today I was struck by my good fortune of having a strong network – particularly in terms of quality daycare, a good family who helps with the kids and the ability to tap into the great community resources available for working moms. I’m currently facing two situations that are not uncommon to working moms – a sick kid and planning for summer care. Both raise the question of balancing work and family responsibilities.

After shuffling schedules, cancelling a few meetings and attempting to get some work done (this blog being the last thing I will do before conceding to the sniffles and playing nurse to my sick one), I’ve successfully handled the first issue.

The second issue, however, takes a little more planning. While summer vacation is great for the kids, it’s often hard on working parents. Fortunately, there are a lot of great resources offered in Indianapolis – not surprising to know that several of them are supported by Women’s Fund of Central Indiana.
While my oldest will be attending various camps this summer (including Girls Inc. and Indy Parks); my youngest will continue to attend his daycare. Both will allow me to continuing working, while knowing they are in a safe place.

No comments:

Post a Comment