Friday, October 16, 2009

Business Ownership Initiative - Another WF Success Story

Three years ago, I attended my first Women's Fund dinner. I was in awe of thousands of attendees, all of whom were involved with and passionate about Women's Fund. Fresh off my OPTIONS class, I was feeling happy and motivated about staying involved, but I wasn't sure what avenue would best suit my enthusiasm. During the dinner, Jennifer announced a bold and transformative grant to an organization called the Neighborhood Self Employment Initiative. I was impressed. I loved the idea of helping women help themselves by giving them the tools to start and run small business, like daycares and cleaning services.

For a while, that was the extent of my involvement with the NSEI. In the meantime, they changed their name to Business Ownership Initiative. With the help of the bold and transformative Women's Fund grant, BOI grew into a much bigger, broader organization, offering one on one business counseling services, planning, and workshops to help people with any of their small business educational and support needs. In June of this year, I started a law practice with a focus on small business and entrepreneurial services. I contacted BOI and was thrilled to hear about all the programming being offered to small business owners. What was most impressive was the full slate of workshops BOI offered, everything from basic instruction on how to incorporate a business in Indiana to complex topics about sales and marketing. And now, I have worked with BOI to assist in teaching some of their legal related topics, even developing a new class for their clients on the legal risks of marketing using social media tools.

It was just a happy coincidence that I was introduced to BOI from Women's Fund, but it is not a coincidence that both organizations are meaningful to me. Women's Fund yet again exposed me to an organization using innovative tools to help women and girls in Central Indiana, and I am sure BOI's success is in no small part because of the Women's Fund grant that I saw awarded in 2006. There are so many other organizations out there that need our dollars and or time. My experience with BOI is just a great example of how I have been able to give both, directly and indirectly because of my involvement with Women's Fund.

2 comments:

  1. I became a client of BOI at just about the same time they received the grant from Women's Fund. It's been very gratifying to watch their growth and expansion since that time. Their focus is on those who don't necessarily have the resources and/or means to get to where they want and need to be with their careers and lives, and BOI has helped fill those needs with grace and enthusiasm. After three years, I still find myself returning to get fresh information and knowledgable input and advice on my business.

    Wug Laku

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! It is exciting to hear this from someone who has been a part of BOI. I am glad it has been beneficial to you. Thanks for sharing, Jennifer Pope Baker

    ReplyDelete