Thursday, October 8, 2009

Friendships Made; Experiences Gained – Your OPTION

Recruiting for OPTIONS Class 10 already? It doesn’t seem that long ago that I participated - eight years goes by quickly. Back then I was eager to learn; eager to make a difference. I wanted to participate in every leadership and community program offered. OPTIONS was one of several – and the one that had the greatest impact on me.

Times have changed and community needs may be different, but I’m certain Women’s Fund has adapted in order to continue strengthening OPTIONS and making it a meaningful experience for participants. Just to be sure, I called a friend. Tonia Lotz, community volunteer, OPTIONS Class 9. Our conversation reinforced what I was thinking.

OPTIONS:
  • is a wonderful way to meet and network with like-minded women. We made great friendships and connections – not just with classmates, but with community leaders.

  • opened our eyes to other organizations. We had been involved with nonprofits, but we agreed our knowledge was pretty limited until OPTIONS. We were introduced to organizations we didn’t know existed.

  • challenged the way we thought about philanthropy. It helped us understand when, where, why and how to give in order to make the greatest impact.

  • site visits provided powerful messages and often intense experiences. We were both impacted by our visit to the Women’s Prison. Tonia also talked about Girls, Inc. and how impressed she was by the girls' confidence. I recalled the Julian Center and how shocked I was at how many women and children were affected by domestic violence.

Friends, knowledge and incredible experiences – that’s what we remember most from OPTIONS. Consider applying and inviting others to join you. It’s an experience you truly won’t forget.

E-mail me at kelly@baisecommunications.com if you want to talk more about OPTIONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment