Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Becoming Passionately Pink

During October, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I wear more pink than normal; I eat pink M&Ms and I eat Yoplait and save the lids. For several years I have walked in numerous breast cancer walks locally and even 60 miles in San Diego for the 3-Day Walk. I’ve attended fundraisers and made donations. In a way, I hoped that would make me exempt from breast cancer ever affecting me – or my friends. Not so. Last year was a year when breast cancer became more than a “cause” and more of a “personal passion”.

Last year, my best friend from college was diagnosed, fought –and beat breast cancer. While I celebrated her survival, I mourned the loss of another friend’s mom who lost a long battle with it. With all of the money raised, research being done, innovative programs established, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done.

As I’ve become more “passionately pink”, my interest in organizations supporting breast cancer has increased. In my attempt to learn more, I decided to explore the work of Women’s Fund and find out what they’ve done to support breast cancer. I was pleasantly surprised by what I learned. Once again, I was introduced to new organizations and new programs through the organizations and programs they support. Some of the organizations I wasn’t familiar with; some of the needs I wasn’t aware of – all of it will be things I will further explore as I continue my passion for pink.

Here’s what I discovered. Over the years, Women’s Fund has provided dollars to and for:

During October – and all year long, I hope you will celebrate the survivors, remember the fighters and find your own way to support the cause. One new thing I'm doing this year is chairing the 2010 Komen Indianapolis Race for the Cure. What ways are you becoming "passionately pink"?

2 comments:

  1. thanks, Kel, for sharing this important info. Cheers to you and Sheri, too...great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring article, still trying to figure out how you do it all, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete